- This event has passed.
Introduction to Mindfulness
June 17, 2017 : 9:30 am - 12:30 pm$35
INTRODUCTION TO MINDFULNESS
Studio 221, 4243 Floyd Highway North
Saturday, June 17, 9:30am to 12:30pm
Mindfulness is a way to improve focus and attention. Through using techniques that have been developed over thousands of years, it can enable people to be more present, and therefore get more out of life.
According to Daphne Davis and Jeffrey Hayes of Pennsylvania State University (‘What are the Benefits of Mindfulness? A Practice Review of Psychotherapy-Related Research’, Psychotherapy, Vol. 48, No. 2, 2011), practicing mindfulness has been shown to:
• Help develop effective emotion regulation in the brain;
• Enable people to become less reactive;
• Protect against the emotionally stressful effects of relationship conflict;
• Improve communication skills;
• Predict relationship satisfaction;
• Enhance prefrontal lobe functions, such as self-insight, morality, intuition, and fear modulation;
• Increase immune functioning;
• Improve well-being;
• Reduce psychological distress;
• Increase information processing speed;
• Decrease task effort;
• Promote empathy and compassion;
• Decrease stress and anxiety; and
• Increase patience, intentionality, gratitude, and body awareness.
On Saturday, June 17, from 9:30am to 12:30pm, Jamie Reygle is conducting an Introduction to Mindfulness workshop at Studio 221, at The Outpost (4243 Floyd Highway North). Reygle is the Executive Director of InStill Mindfulness SWVA, which is a nonprofit based in Floyd committed to instilling mindfulness throughout southwest Virginia. Reygle has had nearly 15 years experience practicing mindfulness, and has been teaching it for the past five years.
Spaces are limited, and can be booked directly through Studio 221 at www.studio221yoga.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.